Can you get hepititis from a toilet seat?
Working with the homeless has turned out to be AWESOME..... Seriously, I think this might be the coolest job ever, except for the fact that I am worried about contracting an incurable disease. They are all in 12 step meetings so everytime I talk to someone the conversation ends with "I appreciate you". Who would not love hearing how great you are everyday?
Today I got all down because it was intake day. Yesterday i just met with people that had been in the center for a month or so and it was really cool, but today they were right off the street and it was a little depressing. One woman got a bit stressed out while filling out her paperwork and looked as if she was about to get up and leave. I found out that this was her 3rd time coming in, but this was the only time she ha passed the drug screen. I was sent to talk to her and after our chat she went back in and continued through it. As I was leaving at the end of the day she followed me to the door to make sure I would be there tomorrow. I told her I would and she told me that I was the first one in 30 years to "extend niceness" to her and that she stayed because she thinks I believe she can do it. Maybe I will take her a crack pipe as a present tomorrow, to show her I appreciate her too.
Anyway, I love my new job.